Happy Global Recycling Day!
Global Recycling Day was created in 2018 to help recognize, and celebrate, the importance of recycling to preserving our precious resources and securing the future of our planet.
The mission of Global Recycling Day, as set out by the Global Recycling Foundation, is twofold:
- To tell world leaders that recycling is simply too important not to be a global issue, and that a common, collective approach to recycling is urgently needed.
- To ask people across the planet to think about resources, not waste, when it comes to the goods around us. As well as, to change public perceptions on the value of recycled goods.
The Global Recycling Foundation’s theme for Global Recycling Day is #RecyclingHeroes. Recycling Heroes are individuals, businesses and communities that are leading the way with their recycling initiatives and who are shining a light on recycling and helping secure a better future for our planet.
Here are the 5 steps to becoming a recycling hero:
Step 1 – Use less plastic, especially single-use
- 91% of plastic created is not recycled.
- Multi-material plastic packaging is among the most difficult types of waste to recycle.
- The plastic bottle recycling rate for PET bottles in the US is around 30%.
Step 2 – Only put clean, dry items in recycling bins
- Aluminum cans can be recycled and put back on the shelves in stores in just 2 months.
- Glass is endlessly recyclable and generally doesn’t suffer from loss of quality or purity.
Step 3 – Help friends follow recycling rules
- The glass recycling rate in the US is around 33%.
- The recycling rate of aluminum cans is around 63.6%.
- Recycling rates for all textiles/clothing/fabric is around 15%.
- The average paper usage per person is around 700 pounds per year.
Step 4 – Setup recycling initiatives at work & in your community
- The average office worker uses around 500 disposable cups per year in the US, with many of these products containing plastics.
Step 5 – Volunteer at local recycling & cleanup events
- Each American produces about 4.51 pounds of trash in a single day.
- The EPA estimates that around 75% of all waste is recyclable.
Visit the Global Recycling Day website for more information on how you can be a recycling hero and help secure a better future for the world.